Cruising overnight it was a quick trip to get to this largest of the ABC’s, Curaçao and its capital, Willemstad, Our voyage was much shorter than the one that brought the first cruise ship here in 1901, the SS Prinzessin Victoria Luise with her 200 passengers from Germany.
Above was our first glimpse of the island as we headed to the dock. Since I found it pretty interesting let me share a little of the history on Curaçao, where inhabitants go back millennia with pre-Columbian peoples. After being “discovered” and claimed by the Spanish in 1499, just fourteen years later in 1513 Diego Columbus, Christopher’s oldest son, declared Aruba, Bonaire and Curaçao to be the “Islas Inutiles” or the “Useless Islands” because they had no precious metals. At that point the entire local populations of all three islands were deported to Hispaniola to work in the copper mines, apparently that was a useful island. Eventually some inhabitants were returned home where they got along just fine until 1634 when the Dutch West India Company decided to send an expedition to conquer the island. Not long after that successful capture Curaçao became a hub of the African slave trade for the next 200 years. Plantations on the island grew sugar cane, aloe and indigo to work their own slaves, some of the mansion houses can still be seen and a few of them can be toured. All of Willemstad’s downtown is a UNESCO World Heritage Site due to all the colorful Dutch architecture. The city is separated by the Saint Anna Bay, one side is called Punda, where the original settlement began, and then Otrobanda - “the other side” - where we docked. The economy is now based on tourism so people were pretty “dushi” with us, that’s a Papiamento word that means sweet, nice, good, and one that I saw on signs around the island
.
Cas Abao was a small stretch of sand between some rock outcroppings with soft, white sands. I hadn't known what to expect as we rode in a bus down a bumpy dirt road, especially when I saw a run down beach resort on the way there where everything looked overgrown and the pool was green. On the return trip I was able to see the "For Sale by Owner" sign outside it which explained its appearance.

All in all it was a relaxing stay on the beach, warm breeze, lounger to lie on to listen to a podcast, and a fresh lemonade to drink.
Just a few colorful townhomes I saw on the way back to Serenade. Being a bigger island there is a lot more of Curaçao that is undeveloped than on Aruba, especially on the north end of the island. Couple of random places I saw on this drive were the New California Supermarket, and a place that looked like a total dive called the Superb Restaurant. One of my favorite sights were the unexpected blankets of green vines with rose colored blossoms I'd see growing along the roadside, so lovely.
Karl's dive master had recommended we go eat at a place called Lionfish Caribbean, which seemed kind of counterintuitive since that species is poisonous but search them out we did, late in the afternoon on a warm day when I was really hungry, I hadn't eaten all day. Okay, so I almost got a little hangry, but eventually we did find this bright pink restaurant and ordered our food.
It turned out we'd found a quaint little space full of shops and restaurants, plus an outdoor Christmas market. It was the perfect place for me to go find a Christmas ornament. It says "Bria, Bria, Bria" on it, which means "Shine, Shine, Shine!"

We'd ordered Lionfish tacos and Lionfish and chips. It's a pretty tricky proposition to filet a Lionfish but the meat is soft, mild and delicious. The poisonous spines are neutralized by boiling them, then they are used to garnish the food and to make some interesting earrings and other jewelry, sorry I didn't get a photo of the latter.
Their goal is to use all of this fish that is a threat to the fish on the reefs around the islands. This restaurant did a pretty good job achieving that goal.
And that stroopwafel I mentioned earlier? Oh was it good! There was a cart in the area that made them fresh, smashing small balls of dough in their wafel machine until they were both crispy and chewy, then putting a thick, gooey, cinnamony syrup between two of them and handing it over, still warm. I probably should have gotten two because Karl didn't get very much of it.























No comments:
Post a Comment