Despite the fact that Bermuda is a subtropical climate it's really at the same latitude as North Carolina and isn't a part of the Caribbean. The temps were humid and the waters were warm, except for the winds it was a great day to snorkel.
This hook-shaped island in the Atlantic is only 20 square miles in size and we docked at the island’s westernmost tip at the Royal Naval Dockyard, more commonly known as King’s Wharf after traveling most of the length of the island.
Although named after a 16th century Spanish explorer, Juan de Bermúdez, Bermuda was first colonized by the British in 1612 at the Town of St. George, the oldest continually inhabited British settlement in the Americas. The Dockyard was a military outpost between the Revolutionary War and the end of the Cold War, being a strategic base during both World Wars so there is a lot of history here. There are supposed to be some of the most beautiful beaches in the world here, even some with the pink sand that Bermuda is famous for. We'll have to wait to see the towns and beaches another time.
We were greeted with drums and dancers after we arrived in port. Not sure what what the costumes were as Bermuda never had any sort of indigenous population, but they were certainly colorful.
There were also swashbucklers around if you wanted a photo with one.
Karl and the rest of the divers were aboard this boat. Our group of 16 snorkelers had a boat about three times that size with both upper and lower decks. It was pretty comfortable.
Another photo of my favorite ship as we rode past going out to sea.
I really need to go take a photo standing by that sign, better do it soon if it's going to happen!
Bermuda is the northernmost spot in the Atlantic Ocean where coral grows. The seven miles of reef that surrounds the island is thanks to the warmth of the Gulf Stream making its way north. The lighthouse marker in the distance marks the edge of the reef.
Jane got a photo of me in the water moments after I got in the first time. Unfortunately the winds and current made for some rough seas so after having water go down my snorkel twice to gag me I decided I'd had enough for this snorkeling spot and that I'd try again at the next one. Others saw some coral and a sunken ferry boat below us at this site.
Some of my snorkeling friends. The water was a bit calmer at our second stop, even though it was only a few hundred yards away from the first so I gave snorkeling a try again. I was glad I did as the coral was beautiful and healthy, colors weren't as vibrant as in more tropical climates but there were some bright oranges and feathery lavender types. The fish were plentiful, many hued, and several kinds I had never seen before, including one that was black on top but with a red glow to its belly that looked like hot embers. No underwater camera for me so just had to enjoy seeing them.
You can see how there were quite a few whitecaps on the gorgeous aquamarine waters.
We tried a couple of times to get a photo of Jane without hair in her face but it was just too breezy!
I had my bandana on, which I do these days when I snorkel so that my head doesn't get sunburned, doesn't do much good for my forehead though. 🤣
After snorkeling we took the scenic route back to the dock, enjoying the colorful houses
and more of the gorgeous waters. The pink resort at this spot looked a lovely spot to stay at.
This home belonged to Teddy Tucker, Bermuda's greatest shipwreck finder. Most houses in Bermuda have white roofs, which also double as a water filter for the rain water they collect to drink. There are no rivers or springs on the island so water is at a premium.
We were even treated to the sight of a sea turtle or two along this stretch of water.
Back at the dock and out our window we could see these three flags flying. Bermuda is self-governing British Overseas Territory like Gibraltar.
All in all this was a port I would I have liked to have more time to explore, only six hours in port wasn't enough. The pink sand beaches will have to wait!
We got cleaned up from our water adventures and headed up to the pool deck to meet LeaAnn and Chuck for the group shot of the World Cruisers. RCCL brought in a drone to take it. It will be interesting to see if you can actually recognize anyone in the photo.

We decided to take a photo with the WC sign.
And then I took another with my dear friend Michelle.
Later that night I went to play some No Mercy Uno with "the girls". These two are the Sabrinas. The one on the left is my friend who only lives 20 minutes from us who we will visit when we get home.
I've had fun occasionally playing cards with these ladies and I will miss them in just a couple more days. We really are getting to the end!
No comments:
Post a Comment